My mouth is just drooling at the prospects of tasting this awesome recipe. Time to get creative with your fave rum.
Rum custard flans with caramel & bananas
- Melted butter, to grease
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 500ml (2 cups) evaporated milk
- 250ml (1 cup) pouring cream
- 1 tbs dark rum
- 25g unsalted butter, chopped
- 70g (1/3 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lime juice
- 1 tbs dark rum, extra
- 2 bananas, peeled, sliced diagonally
- Whipped cream, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 160ºC. Line a large baking dish with a tea towel, folded to fit. Grease six 150ml-capacity ramekins with butter and place in the baking dish.
- Step 2Lightly whisk the eggs and egg yolks in a bowl. Add the caster sugar and salt and whisk to combine.
- Step 3Place the evaporated milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Pour the cream mixture into the egg mixture and whisk to combine. Add the rum and whisk to combine.
- Step 4Strain the egg mixture into a large jug. Divide among the prepared ramekins. Add enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 40 minutes or until the custards are set. Set aside to cool completely. Remove the ramekins from the dish. Cover and place in the fridge overnight to chill.
- Step 5Place the butter, brown sugar, lime juice and extra rum in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes or until the syrup thickens. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Step 6Turn the custards onto serving plates. Top with the bananas and whipped cream. Drizzle over the warm syrup.
Recipe by Sydney Pemberton